CHRONIC EAR INFECTIONS IN DOGS - there is hope
Have you tried rounds of antibiotics and used topical creams, but the ear infections just keep coming back?
Chronic ear infections can be the result of allergies or disease states like diabetes. At Pet NutriSystems we encourage a proactive approach to pet health. It is the best way to protect our pets and keep them healthy. If your dog is suffering from recurrent ear infections, we offer well-researched products and information that give much needed support when your friend needs it most.
Understanding the cause
Most recurrent ear infections are the result of an underlying allergy.
Here is the cycle:
In order to break this cycle of pain the underlying causes must be addressed. By following the proper guidelines today you give your dog the best advantage for the future.
- Allergies cause a reaction in the mast cells of the dog's ear canal. These mast cells are just like the ones in the human body that are concentrated in the lungs and respiratory system.
- In reaction to the immune response, these cells release histamine, prostaglandins, and other inflammatory chemicals.
- These inflammatory chemicals prompt the ears to over produce wax and other secretions.
- This inflamed, irritated environment results in a bacterial infection.
- The resulting vat of earwax and skin bacteria attracts yeast spores to germinate.
- The whole process is very irritating to the ear canal, which becomes inflamed, thickened and produces even more secretions.